Sunday, July 31, 2011

Running without music is like...

It's like watching television without my glasses.  Not especially entertaining!  I went to the park to run and got all set to start before I realized that I had forgotten my headphones.  I had my iPod but no way to listen to it.  I figured that I'd use it anyway because I have my C25K app on it and I could just keep an eye on the screen for the cues to run and walk (luckily they are available in addition to the audio cues) when I remembered that my iPod Touch has a speaker.  Since I have a rather odd playlist, and I don't really like to share, I decided not to use music and just use it for the audio cues.  It seemed to work out fine, but I have to admit that I think I move along a little more easily when I have something to listen to - and less other stuff to contemplate.


I realize that running with, or without, headphones is a controversial topic, and I can see the benefits of foregoing the headphones.  There were a lot of people (A LOT) who indicated that they were "passing on (my) left" that I could easily hear without music applied directly to my eardrum, but I do try to keep the volume to a minimum so I can hear what's going on around me. Having no music just left my brain free to think "OMG! I don't think I can wait to get to that patch of shaded path up there! I think may collapse right here and turn into a big puddle of goo on the sunny trail" and "Hmmm... wonder what I should eat for lunch!" 


Once again, I found people in the MetroPark to be very friendly.  Well, there was one guy who did not say "good morning" to me and looked like he was having about as much fun that I was at that particular moment.  He probably was at the end of a 20 mile run, though, where I was just beginning.  Lots of people walking, running and biking, alone, with friends and with dogs.  I have to say that I really do enjoy seeing people out enjoying the not-quite-as-cool-as-I-would-like mornings and getting some fresh air and exercise.  


I re-ran my run from yesterday with 2 shorter running segments and will do the next one, with a single, longer, run on Tuesday.  Tomorrow morning, my boot camp class starts at 5:30 am so I'll be running on days other than boot camp days (MWF). Going to the orientation today, with my preliminary evaluation, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I will accomplish in the next 4 weeks!

No comments: