Saturday, July 30, 2011

Quiet Saturday run, with a slight twist!

I woke up to run yesterday and it was raining. Hard!  Accompanying it was a lot of lightening and thunder and I considered whether or not I would be wearing anything that was conductive.  Maybe I would go out despite the weather to keep on track.  It then occurred to me that I wear my iPod on my arm and none of my running clothes have pockets.  That much rain would surely not be good for my iPod, so I opted to postpone yesterday's run until tomorrow.  I was already scheduled to run today so I'm tacking it on to the end of the week.  


Today's run was quiet, but I was really surprised when I realized that this week not all of the runs are the same. Wednesday it was split into 3 runs, with short walk breaks in between.  Today it was two longer runs with only one walk break! The next one is one long run with no breaks, but I think I'm going to repeat today's run when I go tomorrow, then do the long one on Tuesday.


I was a little concerned that I seem to be progressing kind of slow, knowing that I have 5Ks scheduled and I REALLY want to be able to run the whole 3+ miles. I'm less worried now that I see that I am moving on to longer runs, but still.  I need to try an not worry about that and just follow the program and give it 100%.  


Detroit Free Press Marathon 5K in 78 days
Run of the Dead in 91 days
Jingle Bell Run in 106 days


I'm really excited that I got a new book!  John "The Penguin" Bingham's An Accidental Athlete: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Middle Age.  It was scheduled to be released in September and I pre-ordered it forever ago.  I was thrilled to learn that it would be released early, but still didn't think I'd get it until about a week into August.  The 1st book of his that I read, The Courage to Start, was a huge inspiration for me to start running.  My new book arrived last night and I'm in a quandary:  I just came in from running... do I shower or start reading?  Maybe I should shower THEN start reading, but I had all I could do to not start the book when I got home last night, which would have kept me up much past my bed-time.




I am dedicating this post to my wonderful dog, Roxie, who we lost a few days ago.  In the past, this would have been the time that I would have taken a nose dive when it came to exercise and healthy eating, but I have maintained my schedule and my diet throughout the week.  She always greeted me at the door and helped me stretch when I came in from running. I miss her so much!

No comments: