Saturday, July 16, 2011

Downhill doesn't really feel any easier than up hill!

Woo hoo!  Went to the MetroPark today to start my next level of C25K and it nearly doubled the "running" time in my routine.  As you can tell, I didn't die!  I thought I might a couple of times - and wished I would at one point, just to get it over with, but I actually came away unscathed and feeling pretty good.  Plus I earned DOUBLE the Weight Watcher's Points that I usually do!


The extra"running" trimmed 1:05 off my pace, giving me a new PR.  At this rate, I'll have Paula Radcliffe chatting at me weekly!  I'm hoping to hear from her again later this week.  There were lots of people out running, riding, walking and blading this morning.  When we headed out of the house it was 68 degrees, but the sun was up and knew it would be warming up quickly - and it did!  I was heading down a small hill, during one of my faster moments, and there were 3 runners coming toward me up the hill.  They were running faster up than I was down and still head the breath to say "good morning" to me.  Show offs!  By the time I got back to the car, they had run to the end of the park and were on their way back, but I saw that they lost one of their team-mates.  With friends like that...


I find that the most difficult thing for me is breathing.  Sometimes I forget to and then try to take deep breaths but it can be really hard to do.  I need to work on some deep breathing exercises a couple if times a day, I think.  My understanding is that when they call cadence, while running in the military, it helps keep them breathing properly.  It occurs to me that I could just sing out loud, along with my iPod, while I'm out, but that may disturb the neighbors at 5:30 in the morning.  


All in all, I felt good about this morning's routine!  I'll be out again before work on Monday to see how I do in my own neighborhood, where it's just me and the road.  I wonder what the next week holds.

No comments: