Friday, July 1, 2011

Holiday weekend off to a running start!

Got out for my "run" first thing this morning and felt great!  I headed the opposite direction that I normally go so the scenery would be a little different.  It helped, too, that I didn't know exactly where the walk breaks were coming.  I try not to look at the clock while I'm running and just go by the audio cues from my C25K app.  I find that it's better for me to not anticipate when the walk breaks are coming up or when I'm going to have to start running again.  

There was a bit of thin fog and lots of condensation so it was quite pretty out.  I scared up a bunny who I was hoping would hop along with me to keep me company, but he just went under a shrub and hung out.  Lazy rabbit! Then, a handsome cat was watching me from the perch in his window.  I'm pretty sure he yelled to me that I was doing great and starting to look like I know what I'm doing, but I had my headphones on and couldn't hear him well enough to know exactly what he said.  Either way, he had an expression of approval on his face.  I saw another cat, but he was outside and just gave me a dirty look for running on his road.  I did get to hear from Paula Radcliffe this morning when I stopped my Nike+ on my iPod.  She congratulated me for my personal record for a mile.  My pace wasn't great, but it was an improvement so as long as I can continually do better, I'm happy.  Thanks Paula!

My plan is to go out again tomorrow morning at the Metro Park, and then go back there on Monday since it's a holiday and I don't have to go to work after my run.  I figure the park will give me a real change of scenery (instead of the same scenery from a different direction) and the terrain isn't level like that of my neighborhood, so I'll be able to switch things up a bit.  Plus the park trail is so long that I can start at a different spot and it will be all new.  Since it's my 4th "run" this week, I'll repeat today's C25K program tomorrow and then move on to the next week on Monday. 

Schedule 5K countdown:
Detroit (Marathon) 5K - 106 Days
Jingle Bell Run - 134 Days

Today's run weather:  63 degrees with no breeze and a bit of moisture at 5:50 am.

No comments: