Monday, July 25, 2011

Two for the price of one!

As I was out running this morning, I realized that I had been so busy this weekend, that I never wrote after Friday's run.  I didn't write after Wednesday's run either, but that was because I skipped it.  Actually, I skipped 2 days last week, which isn't good at all!  Wednesday it was really hot out and I hadn't slept well, so decided to pass on the morning run.  Sunday, I was just lazy and decided to sleep in on the last day of a busy weekend.

On Friday, though... I had an amazing run!  I was going along and it came time to walk, but I was feeling pretty good and decided to keep running.  Then it was time to run again, and then time to walk again, but, again, I didn't really feel like I needed to walk, so I kept trotting along.  I only took ONE walk break, and it was the last one during the program.  Who would have thought I could run for  more than 15 minutes, straight?  Not me, for damn sure!

As I said, I skipped yesterday, but was out bright and early this morning.  I opted to do the program as scheduled, walk breaks included, because on Wednesday I'm moving on to the next level.  It felt good - not effortless or anything like that, but good!  I find, however, that I have one thing that bugs me more and more each time I run.  Headphones!  Earphones, earbuds, what ever kind I use and what ever they are called, I hate them!   They are never really comfortable.  They fall out all the time!  I find that I have to poke them back into my ears every 15 seconds or so, otherwise they pop right out.  I've tried using different sized silicon ear inserts.  I've tried the kind that hook over your ears.  There are the kind that go over your head and the ones that go around the back of your neck.  I don't know how many different kinds I've tried, but I haven't found any that I like yet.  It's very frustrating.  I know, I know... there are a lot of people who feel that you shouldn't use them at all while you're running, and I can see the reasoning for that.  I find music very helpful in these first stages of my running routine, and also use the audio cues on the C25K app on my iPod Touch.  At times when there is more activity, I do have the volume down or use only one ear.  I like to know how out-of-breath I sound when I say hello to my neighbors.

One other thing, today... You may have noticed that I actually used the word RUN without quotes around it.  Now that I am actually running more than half of the time/distance that I go each time, I feel that I can call it running.  Quite the milestone for me...  I'm a runner!

No comments: