Monday, July 4, 2011

Well... Wasn't THAT interesting!

Happy 4th of July!  It's a lovely day.  Slightly overcast and 70 degrees when I went out to "run" - actually the sun is out now, and it's going to warm up, but still a beautiful day.


So... we went to the Metro Park and I realized immediately that there were things that I had not considered!  I fully realized that the park isn't the nice flat route that my neighborhood is, so the slight hills were not unexpected.  The thing that I hadn't thought about is the fact that there is a BIG difference between running at the crack of dawn by my house, and at a public park when it is open to all visitors.  Not only were there other people out there that would SEE me trying to run, but there are also RUNNERS out there to compare me to!  Yikes!  In addition there were walkers and bicyclists, not to mention the people out fishing and grilling (yes, people were grilling at 8:00 am - and it smelled GOOD!) 


Add the challenge of comparing myself to other people who are clearly experienced park-exercisers to the fact that I was moving on to the next week of my program today, with longer running segments, and it made it a little harder to embrace.  To make matters worse, there was a guy walking his bike and I didn't even catch up to him while I was running before he got back on to coast down a hill.  Figures!


All in all, the "run" felt good and I feel even better.  First day of my running week and I already got my first one in and it's even a holiday!  Glad to have the rest of the day to just hang out and looking forward to a 4-day work week.  Next update comin' at you Wednesday.


Today's run weather: 70 degrees, low humidity, very slight breeze and overcast at 8:10 am!  Later - fireworks!

No comments: