Thursday, August 25, 2011

What an amazing morning!

So I was supposed to do a 5K run yesterday morning.  I got ready and headed out and about 1/4 mile in realized that (me + running + darkest  before dawn + uneven sidewalk = FAIL).  Okay, maybe not fail maybe more like fall!  Did I give up?  Well, yes and no!  No... I HAD to get back home, and walking was my only option.  Yes... I quickly learned that my nice wicking pants were getting stuck to my road rash, and what skin was left on my knees was going to be rapid rubbed off, so I picked my self up (after looking around to be sure that no one saw me) and pulled my pantleg up, while blood dribbled down my shin, and took myself home.  

I tried again this morning, being much more mindful of the terrain, and ran without incident.  I did not, however, run the 5K that I had planned.  I only went about 2 1/3 miles and spent part of it walking.  I did run the majority of the distance, but my right knee is pretty stiff, and I didn't want to overdo it.  It was absolutely gorgeous out this morning!  After a wicked storm last night, the sky was a beautiful royal blue at 6:00 am today, and clear as a bell.   The moon and many bright stars illuminated the sky.  It was the prettiest I've seen in since a clear morning in 1997 that we went to an isolated area to see Comet Hale-Bopp or the time we were driving to the upper peninsula of Michigan and went to a park to see the milky way and the millions of stars that you can see from an unpopulated area on a clear night.  I wish I could have taken a picture of the sky this morning, because it was truly glorious!

The most exciting thing about this week, though, is that I got to meet John "The Penguin" Bingham and running Coach, Jenny Hadfield last night.  It was a thrill because I read so much by them and about them, and they are like running rockstars.  John, especially, is an everyday guy who started running in his mid-forties (like me) and has been doing it almost 20 years now.  I will write a separate blog post about meeting them, along with a couple of pictures.

So that's my story for today.  Will run again tomorrow morning, then on Sunday.  Planning on shorter runs than I planned today, and the next 5K run will be next Wednesday - the last day of August!  Where has the summer gone, when I'll be starting my 13th week of running (and no one is more surprised than I am!).

No comments: