Saturday, August 6, 2011

75 very humid degrees, and not a speck of breeze = Ugh!

Since it's Saturday, I got up a little later to run.  8 am!  I checked the temp and it was "only" 75 degrees, which, although warmer than I like, isn't as bad as it could be. Humidity was about 80% but when I stepped outside it was like walking into a (kind of puny) sauna.  Not a blade of grass was moving and the air was completely still.  


I did my scheduled run with the single walk break that I was supposed to take.  Once again, I kept feeling like I needed to take an additional break to slow down a little, but pushed past it, convincing myself that I only wanted to slow down, but that I didn't need to slow down.  And that was right.  I didn't need to slow down at all.  In fact, when our neighbors drove by and waved at me, I managed to speed up a little.  I saw another neighbor and was even able to smile at him when he nodded (I seriously doubt that I ever smile when I'm running... I'm much too busy trying to breathe for that kind of thing).  


I felt good while I was out there, but knew that I was slow, for the most part.  The sun was shining on me and sweat was running into my eyes.  Who would have ever thought that Ms. Radcliffe would be congratulating my on a PR for the mile!  Certainly not me, I can tell you that!  But to my utter dismay, that was exactly what happened!  Whoda thunk?


There really wasn't much going on in the neighborhood this morning.  Aside from the two neighbors that drove by, I saw a woman down the street drinking her coffee on her deck and another woman riding her bike.  She moved to the other side of the road when she went by me.  I think she might be worried that this running thing is "catchy" or something.  


It's supposed to be 88 with scattered thunderstorms today.  Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same, but in the 90s.  I really am looking forward to running in the fall when it's not so blasted hot out.  I think I'll spend some time researching some interesting places with scenic routes and try to get some of those in in September and October.  Well, I'll sign off here, until tomorrow's run (hopefully not in the rain).

No comments: