Monday, August 22, 2011

That didn't suck nearly as much!

Actually, it didn't suck at all!  Not my most awesome performance, but this morning's run was certainly respectable.  It was an absolutely awesome 56 degrees (13 C) when I headed out at 6:00 am.  I would love weather like that for every run!  Since my upcoming races are planned for October and November, I am excited about the temperature during those months.  I have, however, seen some days that the Detroit Marathon brought really cold weather, and spitting icy rain.  I'd certainly prefer dry, but I'll totally take cold and rainy over hot and sunny!  I once signed up for a 5K in July that started at 11:00 am and was on a sunny course.  Horrible experience!  Well, it wasn't JUST the weather with that one, but it cured me of signing up for any in the hot months ever again.

There was a lot of mist just outside my neighborhood, in the fields this morning.  Seeing the sun come up over the trees and begin to burn it off was quite pretty, and I enjoyed watching the sky come to life.  It reminds me of a chapter from one of my favorite children's books "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster.  An orchestra plays the sunrise (and sunset) and each note is a dancing ray of light or a twinkling star or the last bit of orange sunlight slipping behind the horizon.  It's very visual and it changed the way I saw the sunrise/set after I read it in the 2nd grade.  I've read it many times since.

But back to my run... I went back to Week 7, Day 1 and will do my 5K run on Wednesday, then days 2 and 3 on Friday and one of the weekend days.  Next week I'll do the same with Week 8.  I did well with it and ran the full 25 minutes without any trouble.  I was quite happy with that, since my eating yesterday was little improvement from the previous 3 days.  I am, however, nicely back on track today, and am quite confident that Wednesday's 5K run before work will be great!  I love how strong my legs are feeling and kind of like how they're beginning to look!  I do need to concentrate more on stretching, though.  I don't do nearly enough of that!

Well, that's about all there is to tell you today.  See you in a couple days, after an awesome 5K run around my neighborhood!

No comments: