Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rain, Rain and More Rain! Oh... and temps in the 90s!

So, my blog posts have been non-existent for 7 - Yes!   SEVEN! - weeks!  Between the rain, the sharp changes in temperature and, quite frankly, my lack of discipline, so have any attempts at a regularly scheduled running program.  To remedy that, I planned it all out, got everything ready to go last night, and did the Couch to 5K Week 1, Day 1 (C25K1-1) run this morning.  It felt good!  Really good!  I set the alarm for 5:30 am and was out of bed and dressed to "run" moments later.  Not only did it feel good, but  I was also rewarded with a few extra minutes to sit around with John before leaving for work AND time to stop at Espresso Royale for an iced latte (nonfat, of course).

While out on this morning's adventure (which wasn't all that adventurous) I came upon a skunk.  Okay, I couldn't see him, but it was quite apparent that he was there.  When I came around that way for the second time he was still there, but maybe a bit further away.  I don't know why, but I'm shocked at how few people are up and around at that time of morning.  Very few cars, no dogs out walking their people... just one guy on a bike.  He DID kind of make up for the lack of other people to see on my run.  Picture this:  Big guy on a bike, Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts, sporting a serious set of muttonchops and he totally smelled like pot.  I have never pictured potheads as being morning people, I guess.  We were going opposite directions so we passed each other twice.  He looked as amazed to see the likes of me out running as I did to see him going for a bicycle ride.

I used a new C25K app on my iPod that I really liked.  It allowed me to use my own music and gave me audio cues when I needed to start, and stop, running.  I couldn't figure out how to randomize my playlist, and didn't move far down the list, so I'll have to work on that.  Today's run music was AC/DC (X2), Adam Ant (X2), Autograph, Bif Naked, Billy Squire and Blind Melon. 

I'm signed up for two 5Ks this fall, so I am counting down:
Detroit  FREEP 5K - 131 days
Portage Jingle Bell Run 5K - 159 days
Eligible to retire from work - 3,149 days - okay... that has nothing to do with anything

I'll be back on Thursday to report on Day 2.  Go ahead and hold your breath... I really will be back on Thursday!  In fact, I'm looking forward to it.  It will probably be raining, but I won't let that stop me this time.  I've survived much worse things than a 30 minute "run" in the rain!  Until next time...

C25K1-1 run environment:
78 degrees at 5:45 am, pretty humid with a little breeze, which was greatly appreciated.

No comments: