Sunday, May 6, 2012

Seis de Mayo Run in Detroit

Yes, it was the Cinco de Mayo run, but the parade is always on a Sunday and the run is always right before the parade.  The run went very well.  There weren't a huge number of participants, but, as far as I know, I didn't come in last.  Actually, I have no idea where I finished in the line-up because the results don't seem to be available anywhere.  They probably are... I just can't find them.

I ran a little better than my 5K three weeks ago for Feet and Friends Fighting Colon Cancer.  Just a few seconds, but I'm pleased with any improvement.  I was especially happy with the improvement since the race started at 11:30 and it was fairly warm out.  Most of the run was in the direct sunlight (you can see that in this picture of me at the start of the race) and since it was along the parade route there were a lot of people lining the street.  The runners were accompanied by police cars and motorcycles, so that was different, too.  All things that I'm not really accustomed to, and that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that I was out late last night seeing "Weird" Al Yankovic at the Fox Theater in Detroit!

It was a fun run and I'd love to do it again next year.  Apparently, last year was more rainy at this time, because the people running the race were talking about how the ground was too soggy in the park where the run started and finished.  Actually, the weather was perfect, if a little too warm for me - I'd always prefer that it be a little chilly as opposed to any too warm!

Later this afternoon I also went for a 10 mile bike ride at the Metropark, which was great.  Add a little swimming in there and I would have done a mini-tri!  This week I'll be running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday I also have a bike ride that we are doing in Detroit, before going to a family function.  Since next Sunday is also Mother's Day, it's going to be a busy weekend. I'm already looking forward to it!  My next 5K is in three weeks (May 26) and is also in Detroit.  Lots of training between now and then, so I am looking forward to greater improvement with that race.

No comments: