Monday, April 9, 2012

Well now... THAT was MUCH better!

I guess I truly am a morning runner.  I went out today at 6:00 am and did my run and it was SO much better than Saturday's run. Actually, my fastest pace yet, and the furthest distance running, without slowing to walk, since last year.  Granted, I am not, in any way, fast... but I ran just over 2 miles straight, which I am pretty proud of.  It was 41 degrees, and had rained over night, but long enough ago that the pavement was dry - and I didn't have to deal with the wind that we had last night, thankfully!  It was pretty gusty when I went to bed, and I was really hoping that would die down before morning!

I encountered a young cat watching me run.  She didn't seem especially critical, but clearly had the opinion that I am not as graceful a runner as her.  When I approached, she delicately leaped away across the street, leaving me there by myself.  The birds were also out cheering me on.  The birds are always good about rising early to be my cheering squad.  It didn't hurt that the overnight rain brought a buffet of worms out of hiding for breakfast.  They did have a little scuffle, though.  One of the birds chased another directly at me at a ridiculously speedy pace, just missing my legs.  I felt the air move, and maybe even a feather, by my shins and, if I had been just a hair faster, might have been picking beak from my bare calf.  I don't know what the disagreement was about, but it nearly ended poorly for all of us.

I have 4 runs scheduled this week, so I'll be out again on Wednesday and then Saturday and Sunday.  I felt much better about the whole thing today, after doing pretty well.  Saturday I felt pretty discouraged, but it was pointed out to me that there were a number of factors that were different from my usual runs, of late.  Maybe that really does make a difference.  All I know is that I have the American Cancer Society Feet and Friends Fighting Colon Cancer 5K in 12 days and I would really like to run the whole thing.  I'll be back on Wednesday - hopefully a little faster.

No comments: