Thursday, April 26, 2012

Am I really a morning girl?

I definitely run better in the morning than I do in the evening - and even better when it's a little later than 6:00 am.  I guess that's a good thing, since most races seem to start between 7 and noon.  Although noon is late (and technically not morning), I say noon because my next 5K starts at 11:30 am.  I'll be doing the Cinco de Mayo run a week from this coming Sunday (on Seis de Mayo, if you read my post last weekend) and I'm still taking a few walk breaks while I run, so my goal is to actually run the entire 3.125 miles.  Today I did well, but took 3 short walk breaks and wasn't quite as fast as I was at my race last weekend.  I felt great though.

I went out just after 6:00 and was amazed at how light it was.  It's becoming quite noticeable, now, how much earlier the sun comes up.  Not many people were up and about, but Thursday is is trash day in my neighborhood and it's always funny to see something  at the curb the first time I go by, then see that it's gone on my next go-round - and I'm out before trash pick-up.  I got barked at a few times, and tried to avoid the many worms that emerged  with the overnight rain.  Lots of birds were out getting breakfast and the doves were mournfully accompanying my running tunes.  It was quite peaceful!

I am learning the importance of garments that wick moisture away from my body.  It was humid this morning, although not all that warm - only 52 degrees.  I found myself really wishing for more of a breeze.  Funny, the other night it was too breezy and today I wanted more.  It's like wasabi!  First I'm thinking "oh my god, my scalp is peeling off, my ears are melting and my eye balls are going to fall out"  but as soon as the pain goes away I want another bite.  But I digress...  Wicking apparel is essential and I think I'll invest in a few more items before the weather actually warms up.  I really love my running socks and wish all of my other socks were as comfortable, so I think I'll get a couple more pair of those, as well, so I don't have to wash them quite so often.  I don't wear them for every-day because they are too pricey for that.

Well, Luke has me running on Saturday and Sunday this week, so I'll cruise on back here in a couple of days to tell you about my Saturday run.

No comments: