Friday, April 20, 2012

Oops - didn't post yesterday - but I DID run!

I simply had a really busy day and just didn't get a chance to write here.  I went out bright and early yesterday morning and did more of a walk/run (more walking than running this time, unfortunately).  For some reason it was kind of tough.  I felt great.  The wind was 9mph, but the temperature was mild.  My legs felt kind of tight, and there were times that it felt like I was attached to bungee cords that were attached to something behind me trying to pull me back.  Forward motion was difficult.

I had a couple of thoughts about why my run was so slow after I checked to make sure there were no bungees attached to me.  Possibly something off about my form?  Maybe I need to learn more about Chi Running...  That's supposed to be more natural for your body's forward movement than some other forms.  Also, since my runs are short I haven't been fueling at all before hand, but it is first thing in the morning, so maybe that's a problem.  I drink 16 oz. of water before I go out, but have had nothing else for at least 9 hours.  Now that I see that in print, and examine how long it is since I've taken in any energy, that looks like the most likely issue...  

Since I had a little extra time I got a slightly later start.  Funny how that works!  I was getting dangerously into the time when school buses roll through the neighborhood and the LAST thing that I want to do is run past a bus stop piled with kids (especially teenagers -ugh).  I really try to avoid that time of day.  There was lots of activity out there, too.  Several cars on the move, dogs outside, a few empty school buses driving through...  That was good incentive to get up early and avoid all that.

Today I am going to pick up my run packet for tomorrow's Feet and Friends Fighting Colon Cancer 5K at Hudson Mills Metro Park, and I guess I won't be avoiding anything by running with 375 other people, including my DetermiNation team!  Then it will be off to a team breakfast and I'll head home to tell you how it went.  My only goal is to not come in last for my age group!  I can do that... right?

No comments: